Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Penne Bean

Several years ago, due to health reason, I went vegan. I mean overnight, tossed out all the food in the house, cleaned the fridge, cabinets and everything. As you can tell by my recipes, I am no longer vegan or even vegetarian. It is a difficult lifestyle to adopt when you've been raised 'country' and love food. However, there are some recipes that I still use.

During my transition to vegan and back again, I tossed this together one day and it has become not only a house favorite but friends near and far love it as well. My youngest son dubbed it "penne bean" which has stuck.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Penne Bean

1 small onion diced
8 oz baby carrots ( or 1 cup sliced carrots)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP dried parsley
1 tsp basil, dried
4 TBSP butter
1 can chick peas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced petite tomatoes
2 cans vegetable broth (chicken broth can be used if you are not vegan or vegetarian)
2-4 cans of water
1/2 to 3/4 box of Barilla Penne Noodles - PLUS (yellow box)
http://www.barillaus.com/aggregator/prodotto_barilla/1301

In a large pot melt the butter and add the first 5 ingredients, saute. Once the onion is translucent add the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the noodles.
Allow this to simmer for several hours for best results.
When you are ready to eat, turn up the heat and add the noodles. Cook until the noodles are done to your liking.
Serve with a nice roll and salad.

I use the yellow box Barilla noodles due to the Omega 3 and protein levels in the noodles. They add a wonderful flavor. I have made the soup using different noodles and it never taste as good.

**edited 4/17/2014 new photo