Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lemon Zucchini Loaf

Let me say right off that I love lemon. LOVE lemon, so when I saw a picture of this loaf, I knew I had to try it.
YUM is the first word that came out. 
I found this wonderful recipe on Nancycreative.com and want to say THANK YOU to her for this.

Lemon Zucchini Loaf with lemon glaze

Grease and prepare a 9x5 loaf pan
Preheat over to 350 degrees

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk (if you do not have buttermilk, make a substitute using 1/2 cup of milk and 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice)
2 TBSP lemon juice (1 lemon)
zest of 1 lemon
1 cup grated zucchini (I used 3 small zucchini fresh out of the garden)

Mix your flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a large bowl, beat the oil, egg and sugar. Then add the buttermilk, lemon juice and zest. Fold in the zucchini, now add the dry ingredient mix.
DO NOT OVERMIX
Pour into the prepared pan and slide into the oven.
Let this bake for 45 minutes or until it is done in the center.

Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
I also zested the lemon and added that as well, for that extra lemon punch I love so much. Stir this well and pour over cooled loaf.

This is a fabulous recipe. My husbands question was, why use zucchini, who wants zucchini in a bread/loaf/cake whatever you want to call it. I said, I don't know, but it's good.
The proof is in the tasting! Another hit at our house.


Lemon Sugar

This recipe is featured on the first week of Share-It Saturdays. www.lemon-sugar.com
Check it out!!