Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fajita seasoning mix and easy recipe

Good Tuesday morning. I was thinking about which recipes to add and going through my pile of stickie notes, torn bits of paper and composition notebook, yes my recipes are a mess, and thought about last week. My poor husband had just had a tooth pulled and needed something soft to eat for dinner. Problem was I wanted to fix fajitas. Crunchy grilled veggies and steak were not what he had in mind.

So, if you know me, then you know what comes next. Yes, I decided I need to come up with an alternative. After searching the web I found several easy recipes like oven bake fajitas and crock pot fajitas.

Having time for neither and the only meat I had available was chicken, I improvised.

I took my frozen chicken and popped it into my favorite pot, a large Cuisinart Stainless Steel pot. Best $19.99 sale item I have ever bought. Anyway, I dropped the chicken in with some leftover broth to equal about 2-3 cups. I allowed this to cook. Then I removed the chicken from the bone and returned to the pot. With this I added a red onion, a sweet onion, sliced a red and orange sweet bell pepper. And last but not least, my fajita seasoning mix. This was allowed to stew/marry flavors and served on flour tortillas.

Another big hit which is good because I got carried away while cooking chicken and literally had enough fajitas to feed 14 people. Oh well, it warmed up nicely and was great for the next few days.

Here is my fajita seasoning mix:

Fajita Seasoning Mix

1 TBSP cornstarch
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp cumin

Stirred really well and added to the dish while cooking.
The original recipe that I found also called for 1/2 tsp of salt, but due to my husbands high blood pressure, I omitted that. 3/4 tsp of crushed chicken bullion cube that I omitted due to the chicken broth all ready in the pot and the last item it called for was 1/2 tsp of onion powder but since I had two types of onions this too was omitted.

I am remiss to say I did not take a picture but rest assured that this is a keeper and will be repeated, so next time I will take a picture and add to this post.

Now while we are discussing seasoning mixes and Mexican flavor food, let me encourage you to make your own seasonings. When my husband was diagnosed last year with high blood pressure and told to reduce his sodium I thought I was fairly conscience of this. Well, not so much. I do not cook with salt unless it is sea salt and only bought a few canned/boxed items. However, the one thing I did buy was taco seasoning mix and several a week. Was I surprised when I looked at the sodium content in one package! There was enough sodium in the reduced version to last all four of us a week much less one meal. So with that discovery I started on my search for the perfect Taco seasoning mix. I have been making this for over a year and one batch normally last me 2-3 months. I use a clean recycled plastic container or glass bottle to keep this in. I have also used this in chili as well with an added tsp of chili powder.

Taco Seasoning Mix

4 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper flake
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 TBSP cumin

Stir well and store in an air tight container. Keeps for several months.

Use 1 1/2 TBSP per pound of meat


No comments:

Post a Comment