Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Asian Slaw

As a fan of salads and raw veggies, there is the never ending goal to find new ways to eat them and present them in a manner that boys (mine especially) will eat them.

If you have sons, a husband, or any other man in your life, you can attest that their idea of vegetables is corn on the cob, french fries, tater tots and anything deep fried. There are a few exceptions but most guys are "meat and potatoes" or as my son likes to say "I'm a meataterian" meaning he could go forever and not eat a vegetable.

With that in mind, I am on the lookout for tasty vegetable dishes that will draw my guys in.

This recipe was found recently, sounded tasty and I of course changed it, as it calls for peanuts and I didn't have any so they aren't in it. It called for a red bell pepper and my yellow one looked like it might expire before the week was out, so I used it. The original also called for hot sauce but my delicate digestive system can not handle spicy. Now if you're like my husband, you're thinking hot sauce isn't spicy. Well, black pepper can be too much for me on some days. Also, a word of warning, it calls for fresh cilantro and a 1/2 cup to boot. THAT is a lot. I like cilantro but found it over powering the first day but after day 2 of the slaw it had mellowed out. The second time I made the slaw I omitted that as well just to see if it tasted as good without it.

Don't be afraid to change things up. If a recipe calls for garlic and you don't like it, leave it out. If it calls for red bell pepper and you have yellow, use it. Like most we are watching our sodium intake, cut back on the called for amount or omit it and let the diners season their own.

Cooking is an adventure, so venture out! Be creative, have fun, explore and ENJOY!!

Asian Slaw

4 cups shredded cabbage (you can use the bag kind or shred your own)
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shelled Edamame (found in the freezer of most stores)
2 diced green onions or scallions
1 red sweet pepper diced
1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 TBSP soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 TBSP hot sauce
1 TBSP peanut butter
1 glove of chopped garlic OR 1 tsp garlic powder
1 TBSP ginger

In a large bowl mix all the ingredients for the sauce, add the chopped, shredded and diced vegetables. Mix well and store in a covered bowl overnight for best flavor. This slaw keeps well for several days and actually taste better on day 2. Stir before serving.

A close up